Monday 20 April 2015

Housework is Child's play

Recently I did a post on housework and home care inspired by the lovely JL Scott's book At Home with Madame Chic, which I have loaned to my mum as she has so admired my consistently clean house. Since taking on a plan for cleaning and enjoying the task at hand my house has been running really smoothly; the washing is managed, I go to bed at night with clear benches, and a clean space waiting for us when we wake in the morning.

Since first reading JL Scott's book the only thing I have altered about my efforts is how I undertake them. Some days I still do these tasks in a fast and efficient manner, like hanging the washing before playgroup when we have very little time. Generally, however, hubby and I have been working with Boo to get things done.

Ever noticed how children hang around you no matter what you are doing and try to get involved no matter how everyday the task is? Children love to spend time with their parents and are great mimics, they love doing what we do, no matter how boring we may think it is. So to embrace this trait, I have been endeavouring to include Boo in my day and share the load. Boo now unpacks the washing machine, sweeps the floor, hands me pegs, shadows while hubby or I vacuum, sits on the bench while I bake (I want to teach him but he is still a bit too messy with the flour), makes sandwiches and wipes the table. He also helps in the garden, to unpack the dishwasher and puts his plate in. Not always consistently, but most of the time.

Having Boo participate in the running of the house in this way impacts us as parents in a few ways. Firstly we enjoy the task more; Boo takes such joy and pride in doing these jobs it is hard not to find yourself smiling and enjoying it too. Some jobs take forever like unpacking the washing machine. I could sit and have a cuppa in the time it takes, but it is one of the few jobs he can really do by himself. You have to let go of how you want to do it. With Boo handing me clothes and pegs I end up hanging my washing all over the place rather than grouped by person. This just means a bit more walking around when I bring it in as I sort it and fold it from the line.

Sweeping Leaves with Dad
Boo helping also means I have to pay attention and be aware that he is learning. We have had a broken bowl from unpacking the dishwasher (it was my favourite patterned dessert bowl). But while that was sad, and I told him firmly we need to be gentle or else we break things, I didn't get angry or upset (it took a lot of conscious effort not to) because ultimately if he learns the skill in the long run one bowl is insignificant. Often Boo helping looks like him handing me cutlery, mugs, glasses etc., he will put utensils in the draw and the plates and bowls away with guidance as he can reach these. He will take his own plate from table to kitchen but needs help putting it in the sink or dishwasher. 

Don't get me wrong, this is not every meal of every day, some days he is too tired or frantic to be able to listen and help. Other days I am too tired and impatient or we just don't have time. On a whole I try to make time because as he becomes more independent. With each task he becomes prouder of himself as he knows his own skill. Additionally he gets to be part of the team/family dynamic that exists around keeping our house nice, as it is our house not mummy's house alone. It allows home to be a place where we as a family contribute.

Do you have your children helping around the house? What are their favourite jobs?


Tending to our wheat, they have been telling the Little Red Hen at playgroup.
Love (parenting) and Laughter Andii

4 comments:

  1. I love this idea of changing our perspective on the tasks at hand. I think I need to read that book. Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bele it is definitely a fun and useful read as is her first book lessons from Madame Chic: 20 Stylish Secrets I learned while living in Paris.

      Delete
  2. I love having the kids involved in the every day chores... I just wish it was easier to get the teenager more involved ;) xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping, perhaps in vain, that having started so early doing the housework will be an automatic part of Boo's day. fingers crossed.

      Delete